The curriculum is the totality of pupils’ learning experiences. At Wentworth Primary School, we believe that our curriculum should be broad, balanced and relevant, and meet the needs of all children whatever their ability.
The curriculum taught at Wentworth is comprises of the statutory objectives in The National Curriculum and our own unique skills and knowledge. We ensure the children have a range of learning experiences that challenge, stimulate, promote thinking skills and fostering a love of learning. The curriculum is carefully planned and structured to develop skills, knowledge in a range of subject areas. The sequence of learning over time is progressive to develop the knowledge and skills for future learning and employment.
INTENT OF THE CURRICULUM
The intents of our curriculum are to:
- Inspire a life-long love of learning and prepare our pupils to be able to fully participate in their secondary education, inspiring our pupils and preparing them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experience of adult life in 21st century Britain
- Promote the highest standards in reading, writing and maths
- Enable pupils to investigate and problem solve, using a wide range of reasoning and analytical skills
- Enable pupils to acquire knowledge, understanding and skills in science
- Challenge pupils to apply logic, to question and to debate
- Ensure pupils are confident and safe in the use of ICT
- Promote physical and mental development and an awareness of the importance of a healthy lifestyle
- Ensure children are aware of the importance of and participate in the arts related cultural themes
- Promote spiritual development and enable pupils to develop moral sensibility through carefully taught British values and develop pupils’ cultural capital
- Develop the personal and social skills of each child
- Provide equality of access to all areas of the curriculum and provide the opportunities for all pupils to make outstanding progress
Themes for each Year group
|Foundation||Story and Rhyme||Wonderful World||Summer Fun|
|Year 1||Marvellous Me||Fun at the Farm||Our Glorious Globe|
|Year 2||Mini Beasts||Exciting Explorers||Marvellous Maldon|
|Year 3||Invasions, Settlements and Kingdoms||Disasters and Destruction||Mysterious Maya|
|Year 4||Our Watery World||Portals to the Past||Romans|
|Year 5||The Ancient Greeks||Enough for Everyone||Marvellous Maps|
|Year 6||Power to the People||Mind the Gap||What a Performance|
MEDIUM TERM PLANS
Medium Term plans are reviewed and modified each term by the teachers and kept in their Planning Folders. They are highlighted to show the teaching sequence and contain the knowledge and skills for each National Curriculum area which are relevant to the theme for the term. The medium term plans are developed into weekly plans, with clear learning outcomes, used to teach the individual lessons where pupils learn the key knowledge, skills and cultural capital needed to succeed in life and to be educated citizens. Where the National Curriculum subjects do not form part of the termly theme, then the subject is taught discretely e.g. Mandarin and Religious Education.
At Wentworth Primary School, we believe that assessment, feedback and marking are a crucial and integral part of the teaching and learning process. Learning objectives will be clearly identified in short term plans and assessment criteria matched to these. We are aiming for our cohorts to be at least 80% of pupils at age related expectation by the end of their key stage and at least 25% of the cohort to be at greater depth.